You don't have to be a AAA member. The app is free, and AAA says it's working on a version for other smartphones.
No smartphone? Here's a comprehensive auto accident checklist, put together by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, that you should print out and keep in your car.
Here are the steps we recommend:
- Stay safe, but try to warn oncoming traffic of the danger at the scene. Turn on your hazard lights.
- If someone's hurt, give reasonable aid and call 911 immediately. Don't move them unless absolutely necessary.
- Notify the police.
- Give and get info for the accident report, including insurance information, license plates, names and contact information of those involved, including police and witnesses. Diagram the scene.
- If you can do it safely, take photos with a camera or phone.
- Call your agent or insurance company.
- Many experts advise not admitting fault or assigning blame, and only discussing the details of the accident with police or your insurer.