The biggest mistake seems to be this: overfilling the pot and plunging a big turkey in while the flame is lit, causing a lot of oil to splash over the sides and, yup, ignite.
So if you must fry your turkey, here are some key tips:
- Fry outside, away from the house.
- Do not overfill the pot with oil.
- Properly thaw the turkey.
- Turn off the flame before adding the turkey.
- Use the grappling-hook thing to lower the turkey in carefully (and not splash oil).
- Be careful of oil splattering on your arms. Splashed boiling oil can cause horrible burns.
- And -- if in doubt, review video No. 2 above -- keep a grease-approved fire extinguisher handy.